September 26, 2006

Now I Lay Me Down To Sleep

Our little man has always been a good sleeper. And we have a great bedtime routine. Books, bed, songs, lights out; rarely any fuss. Last night, just before I See the Moon, D asked for a little extra time. I thought he wanted to get settled more comfortably, which is often part of his pre-Moon Song deal... likes to really drink that last song in. But this time, what he wanted, was "to pray." I know bedtime prayers are a pretty common part of a lot of folks' bedtime routines, but they've never really been part of ours, so I was pretty surprised. "Okay, sweetie, that sounds good," I said, and waited.

"I prayed that God would send me the very best Transformer ever," he shared. And for once, I bit my lecturing tongue and simply said, "Oh, okay."

"Wait, wait, I have an even better idea!" he said then. And went back to praying.

"This time," he said as he snuggled down into his pillow, "I prayed for a bigger heart, so I can love even more." He was excited and quite pleased with himself.

Just when you think your heart can't get any bigger, they go and build you a whole new addition.

(Thanks to Passing the Torch for the encouragement.)

11 comments:

  1. Shelley, what a beautiful prayer D said...made this here heart grow a little too! And the picture of both of you snuggled together is priceless...thank you for sharing!

    Lil

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:11 AM

    My eyes just filled with tears. How can little kids be so wise?? What a darling prayer and a darling boy.

    Thank you for passing the torch again with us this week.

    Kelly
    My new address: 2passthetorch.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:48 AM

    That's so sweet my eyes just welled up!

    I hope God heard him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok Shelley, this is beautiful and what a wonderful little man he is, to ask for a bigger heart in order that he can love even more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That has got to be one of the most beautiful things I have ever read..

    Awww, kids are so special. So innocent and loving.

    ReplyDelete
  6. gosh darn it i just love kids
    to bits:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow. That there is a mansion-sized addition, I think.

    Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I swear, that was the most precious thing I have ever heard.

    ReplyDelete
  9. beautiful entry, beautiful photo!
    thanks for this today

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous12:35 PM

    How sweet - I think that should be my prayer as well. Tell your son thanks for the reminder !
    Thank you too for sharing !

    ~tonya
    www.thereisaseason.net

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh my heart brimmed, children say the most wonderful things sometimes.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!