March 23, 2009

Define "Fun"

Conserving his strength.

The first time you really jangle your funny bone, you think, "Hey, that's not funny!"

This past Saturday a certain 7.5 year old was signed up to race in a one-mile "Fun Run" in Bordentown, NJ. (He'd missed running in the now-defunct Princeton Fete the year before, and was itching to give this year's new sneakers a rigorous test.)

The course was mapped out on closed off city streets, whereas the Fete Fun Run had been a combination of outdoor track and practice fields. I decided I wasn't quite comfortable with sending Mr. D off into the streets of Bordentown with a "just follow everyone else, honey," so I tagged along.

This explains why the end-of-race "double thumbs up" picture is taken from this odd angle. I was lying down on the sidewalk. Next time, he follows everyone else while I cheer madly from the sidelines! (Although he did finish nicely, I'm sure he would have run a faster race without his wind-sucking mama trailing pathetically along behind.)

He'll be back.

4 comments:

  1. You ran a race?!?! Parenthood does make you do the strangest things! Congrats! (Oh, and congrats to the boy, too, though I KNEW he'd do well!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:36 AM

    haha thats funny! way to go Dominic! running is a lot of fun!

    your cousin,

    Colin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:38 AM

    What? No picture of YOU in running garb??

    ~Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous6:59 AM

    Congratulations Dominic!! I believe you're almost ready to race grandpa in the famous 'Sands of Terror' race.
    It runs from the condo to the jetty, starting in March of 2010.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!