June 11, 2006

Comfort


When I was a kid, Kraft Macaroni and Cheese for dinner was something of an event. It was participatory. Someone was going to get to cut the pats of butter in. Someone was going to get to pour the milk. Then the cheese. And then we'd all take turns stirring. It was my original comfort food.

I also clearly remember the feeling of abundance that went with that meal. I don't know how old we were when we finally finished an entire box in one sitting, but it was a long time coming. Leftovers were the norm for many years.

Now it's a new generation. My son is growing up on Annie's Shells and White Cheddar, which we try to make mostly when my lactose-intolerant partner is on a business trip or off in a field working on her chip shot. He likes to use a spoon. I like to use a fork. We both like it on the dry side. And much to my surprise, we've already had a night with no leftovers.

I can't help wondering if maybe someday I'll be mailing him a care package with a couple of purple boxes tucked inside. It's wild to be on both the giving and receiving sides of comfort.



(See what Krista, Amy, WAYA, and the other Mama Says Om gals have to say on the subject.)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I smiled when I read this because it is my 5 year old son's favourite thing to do- putting the cheese in the Kraft Dinner.

Seriously, if I forget to let him do it, I have done a colossal sin and he doesn't let me forget it!

He gets an inordinate amount of pleasure from putting in that flourescent orange cheese powder.

Amy Linder said...

Great post! Both my daughter and I love "Bunny noodles" too. And she loves to follow the picture directions and tell me how to make it. :)

Heather Plett said...

Too funny! What is it about mac-and-cheese that kids just want to participate? My youngest 2 daughters ALWAYS want to put the cheese in, and now my eight-year-old can proudly make it by herself.

Nice post. (I came from Mama Says Om)

Anonymous said...

This is still a comfort food for me. Add some tuna or some browned hamburger, and call it a meal.

mary said...

Also one of my favorite comfort foods. I think I will have to let the girls make it next time. Thanks for such a comforting post.