August 14, 2006

Who Else Can I Still Be?

(Written to this week's prompt at Sunday Scribblings.)

I can still be the aunt my nieces turn to when the going gets tough.

I can still be the mom who always sang "I See the Moon" at bedtime.

I can still be a published essayist and poet.

I can still fly to Reykjavik on a whim someday.

I can still hone my craft as a storyteller.

I can still be an enthralled bystander at a sheepdog trial.

I can still attend the Battle of the Bands at the Georgia Dome.

I can still sing in another choir.

I can still be a tourguide for the Historical Society of Princeton.

I can still dream about time travel.

I can still grown my own corn-on-the-cob some summer.

I can still lose my eyesight, hearing, or mobility.

I can still take my boy to his first Broadway show.

I can still be a season ticket-holder to the theater series at McCarter.

I can still work in a library.

I can still get paid to speak in public.

I can still learn new folksongs.

I can still be a camp counselor.

I can still apprentice myself to a classic car fanatic and rehab some old clunker back to glory.

I can still run for office.

I can still get arrested for civil disobedience.

I can still live my gay life without benefit of legal protection ('cause I don't seem to have much choice in the matter).

I can still live to see a woman successfully run for President (not Hillary, though, I think).

I can still be a grandmother.

I can still watch my son navigate falling in love for the first time.

I can still learn a slew of new recipes.

I can still eat a piece of pizza without burning the roof of my mouth. Someday.

I can still thank my parents.

I can still pray.

I can still skinny-dip.

I can still be the friend who writes letters. The kind you mail. With stamps.

I can still learn to be a better listener.

I can still resist continuous partial attention.

Thank you for yours.

2 comments:

Stacy said...

Wow. I think that I am going to give this a try. Thanks for the inspiration.

kerrdelune said...

Thank you for this - I could relate to each and every "I can still..." and these are thoughts which really resonate with me, would LOVE to spend time in Iceland and am working on the published essayist and storyteller "stuff".