November 06, 2006

Pumpkin Haibun


In the morning, a frantic scrabble of claws on concrete greets us. The squirrels who have dared each other onto the porch launch themselves into the lawn as we open the door. I imagine their tiny hearts pounding even faster than usual.

The real drama, as usual, happens when no one is looking:

Squirrels with pumpkins,
Glee turning to confusion:
This one hollow, too?

How like them I am, lured by the promise of an unearned windfall and forgetting in my churn and flurry that I've known all along where my true sustenance will come from.

8 comments:

Crafty Green Poet said...

Excellent haibun. You've captured the squirrel's nature very well!

paris parfait said...

Good job with your haibun! I especially like the philosophy of your last line.

Maya's Granny said...

This weekend I saw porcupines nibbling at old jack-o-lanterns in three different places. I wish I'd had my camera with me.

Anonymous said...

This is a gorgeous haibun and kudos to you for it! I am still thinking mine through and wish it would "pop up" a little more quickly.

jzr said...

Very nice!!

Anonymous said...

I wish I could see that! Good story and poem.

Catherine said...

This is probably a normal autumn scene for you, but quite exotic to me! I enjoyed the glimpse of your surroundings. Beautifully observed.

Andromeda Jazmon said...

This is wonderful! Yours are exactly like the squirrels around here.