December 21, 2006

Insatiable

(D and his best friend JT have been playing together in the livingroom almost nonstop for about six hours.)

Insatiable

Let's play pretend,
that game where you start
by saying let's pretend,
and then you keep going,
and anytime you stop,
the other person can say
let's pretend and get it going again.

Let's pretend
that I
have the powers of Lord Voldemort
and you
have the powers of Darth Vader.
Together
we will be so bad.

Let's pretend
that this broom on the rug
is actually flying through the air
and that chair is a dragon
and we both have wands
but sometimes our spells
don't work right.

Then let's ask if we can
take our shirts off
so we can be pirates.
When we get thirsty
we can go into the kitchen
and ask for chocolate milk
except we'll call it rum.

(Thanks to the women of Poetry Thursday
for their continuing inspiration.)

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just can't wait to have kids. Wow-that really tells a story and it's so true. Great job!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! Brings back many fond memories.

Anonymous said...

I love the ending, calling chocolate milk rum. I think poets really hold onto that childlike spirit of pretending. In some ways, it's that ability that makes us poets.

Thank you for thanking us, but it's really you all who are the inspiration.

Crafty Green Poet said...

That brings back memories for me too!

Anonymous said...

We never stop pretending; it just stops being fun. I don't know why, but the part about the spells was moving for me.

Wendy said...

your poem touched me deeply. i am so glad we've connected by pixel glow. though it would be much lovelier to connect in person one day.

how i enjoy coming here,
w

Anonymous said...

Nothing says "bad rebel" like two boys who ask permission to take their shirts off. Thanks for the watchin' my boy.

mareymercy said...

That's terrific. Love this poem.

Tammy Brierly said...

I need to remind my inner child to play "Let's pretend" more often ;) Delightful!

kerrdelune said...

Merry Christmas!