January 31, 2007

Poetry Thursday - Proof

Word Problem


Let X stand alone as a reminder
of the words that wanted to be written
but weren't.

Let Y hold the place
of apologies that were offered
but then negated with a following
qualifier.

Imagine, then, that a train
travelling through a range
of snow-dazzled mountains
increases its speed by a factor of Q
as the conductor longs
to put her feet up by a fire
and finish that book she's in the middle of.


Given that time is a non-renewable resource,
that everyone looks back on something
with a sense of bitterness and regret,
and that we creatures crave comfort,

solve for X.

(Thanks to the women of Poetry Thursday,
and to my poetry sister KD,
for their continuing inspiration.)

9 comments:

Catherine said...

Lovely - I was having trouble seeing how I could work with that prompt. Yours is very effective. (I do have an idea for mine, that takes a bit of a different slant on it - it will be up later today, I hope)

Anonymous said...

In 23 years, my 2nd favorite thing you have written.

(you can't top the one you wrote while sitting on my bed in Year One)

'n

Emily said...

Great poem! I especially liked the train...nice image.

gkgirl said...

i love the idea
of the story problem poem...
and time being a
non renewable resource.

gautami tripathy said...

Last stanza is too good! Glad I am here!

gautami.
Do chk my post...Straight Curves.

twilightspider said...

Love it love it love it.

Did I mention that this works for me?

You've definitely solved for X here.

Unknown said...

This is so terrific. I absolutely love it - the whole damn thing. And, the second stanza is basically my life. Really wonderful poem. Thanks for sharing it with me.

Jessica said...

I love this -- I always wondered what was going on in that train after it left the station.

Crafty Green Poet said...

Tine is a non-renewable resource indeed. The last stanza and last line are great.