January 26, 2007

Song

In the summer of 1973, I learned 23 new songs.

It was my first year of Girl Scout camp, and I thought I'd died and gone to heaven. After the first week, when some of the first-time campers were crying around the campfire because they still had another week to go, I could almost bring myself to tears with the thought that I only had another week to go. When my mother came to pick me up at the end of camp, I excitedly launched into some of my new songs, and I still remember how absolutely blown away I was to discover that SHE had learned some of the same songs when she went to Girl Scout camp!

I had always loved singing, but I think it was camp that helped me turn the corner and become someone who could write a song in a pinch. (Often with a borrowed melody, but hey, isn't that what folk music is all about?)

Nowadays, there's nothing I like better than finding a singer/songwriter who most of my friends have never heard of. And I haven't gone a day without singing since becoming a parent.

As for the next generation, I'm doing my best to pass along the songs. Call my house during a work day and listen to the outgoing message and you'll see what I mean. (If you don't know me well enough to know my home number and want in on the fun, leave a comment to that effect and we'll work something out.)

"As we leave this friendly place
Love gives light to every faceMay the kindness which we've learned
Light our hearts 'til we return."

(Thanks to the women of Mama Says Om
for their continuing inspiration.)



4 comments:

Wendy said...

if we were children, i would ask you to be my best friend...

mandaroo63 said...

I'd love to hear that. Maybe you could do a youutube and post it? Sweet story. I loved girl scouts and am enjoying seeing my daughter enjoy it as well.

kerrdelune said...

It was Girl Guide camp here in Canada, Shelley, but I loved those weeks spent in tents by the river. We cooked the food ourselves, and some of our efforts were rather sorry, but somehow or other everything tasted wonderful, and it was at Girl Guide camp that I learned to love owls and moons and singing around a campfire. This post brought back some wonderful memories of those days. Thank you!

Andromeda Jazmon said...

We sing that song at school and I love it.