January 10, 2007

Surge THIS

I didn't listen to the President's address tonight (I'll read it in the cold hard light of day), and I'm not going to be able to attend the demonstrations in Trenton tomorrow. But that doesn't mean that I'm disengaged.

Above is a picture I took last Wednesday of the weekly vigil for peace that has been going on in Palmer Square for months. There will be more demonstrations and YouTube videos and calls and emails to representatives tomorrow.

An increase in troop levels makes no sense. Even if it did, we don't have the troops to send. We need surges of compassion, advocacy, mediation, and peace.

As is so often the case, Martin Luther King, Jr. speaks my mind: "Wars are poor chisels for carving out peaceful tomorrows."

2 comments:

Unknown said...

God has been so good to me, Shelley!
Yes.. please come and visit Bali!
i will show you more wonders of it!

Anonymous said...

I could not agree more; so much sadness. The answer is so obvious.