February 09, 2007

Yummy - Sunday Scribblings


(My own personal contribution to the yumminess quotient of the world...
chocolate mousse cake from scratch, with powdered sugar from a stencil I found on the internet.)


Language has periodically gotten in the way of my enjoyment of the yummier things in life.

Several foods which eventually made it onto my all-time favorites list spent many years languishing in a kind of purgatory.

The only kinds of cheese I'd ever eaten when I heard about cheesecake for the first time were cheddar cheese and American cheese. I just couldn't imagine how either of those and cake could play well together, so I turned up my nose at cheesecake for years. So sad.

Sourdough bread met a similar fate. I thought grownups were crazy to deliberately seek out something with a name so clearly warning of an unhappy experience. Finally I accidentally ate a slice of sourdough bread, loved it, and THEN realized what I'd been missing all along.

So now my food motto is, "If it's dead, I'll try it." I don't care what you call it; I don't want to miss out again!

(Thanks to the women of Sunday Scribblings
for their continuing inspiration. In other news,
my contributions to the Creative Act project this week
are going to be additions to the My Life In Stories Project.
Today's entry is here. If you see a title that piques your interest,
let me know in the comments; maybe I'll write that one next!)

4 comments:

paris parfait said...

Let me just say that I was so distracted by the idea of your yummy chocolate mousse cake, I could barely read your delicious post! And sourdough - how I miss sourdough from San Francisco!

JHS said...

OMG, sourdough is one of life's great treasures. Of course, I discovered it early in life by living so close to SF. Your cake is lovely . . .I could never do anything like that. I'm lucky to be able to microwave!

Stop by and read about my yummies!

gautami tripathy said...

Very different yummy post! I like it.

Do chk mine at:
Yummy!!

Jone said...

That cake photo, yummy. I loved reading your post.