March 21, 2007

Is/Was

Here is
the end
of the day
and the start
of a new season.
The house is quiet.
It is past our bedtime.
But she is not home yet.
There is wax in my left ear.
Sleeping alone is a challenge.
Staying in the present is hard, too.
My library book is back at the library.
But the last thing I want is to complain.
Now the snow that we waited so long for is
melting and in its place we are left with – what?

Where is the poetry in this? This is listening.

Nowadays, none of my close friends lives
within easy walking distance, but there
was a time when that was the case.
We would sometimes, after dark,
start talking and then think we
were almost done, so offer to
walk the other one home,
but then find there was
more to say, and so
walk on back again,
and keep on like
that until finally
we came to a
good place
to stop.

(Thanks to the women of Poetry Thursday
for their continuing inspiration.
I managed to teeter-totter up and down
on the "is" fulcrum for the first stanza.
After that, the past felt like a luxury.
Thanks, too, to old friends.)

15 comments:

cyberdiva said...

cyber
diva
say
hi
!

Crafty Green Poet said...

nice and reflective.

Beaman said...

I love the structure. It is art in both senses of the word. Well written.

Clockworkchris said...

I'm with Beamon-I love the way it looks as well as the way it reads and is. Great job.

Anonymous said...

Bravo! I like the second half especially. Wasn't this a fun exercise?

Norma said...

I love shape poetry. I used a similar shape to write about a Christmas formal. Great stuff.

My PT is up. http://collectingmythoughts.blogspot.com/2007/03/poetry-thursday-12-todays-challenge-is.html

Kimberley McGill said...

I like the shape of the poem as well. It seems the first part of the pieces goes well with the expanding lines because the thinking of the speaker in the poem seems to be winding up. The last half goes well with the descent because friends start out with much to say and talk until there´s nothing left to say. Good Job!

Andromeda Jazmon said...

Great balance; poignant images. Lovely.

Anonymous said...

I like the interjection of the wax in the ear and the library book that needs to be returned. It belies the misconception that poetry must be lofty, transcending.

And the transition of time here, the way life ebbs and flows, is so succinctly captured. Be it by geography, lifestyle changes, or simply being 'too preoccupied' we find some of these changes as a penny, dropped into a well, and see all the ripples as they spread across the lake - effecting areas our life unimaginable in that instance.

And yet, there are the tried and true friendships that endure, that alter and become malleable - and these are the friends to whom we must cling. The individuals who, despite time and space, will always reconnect as if no time has passed at all.

gautami tripathy said...

Now this what I call a beautiful visual effect. Great way with words .

gautami
Soul

Shelley said...

Thank you for your kind comments, friends.

I am grateful for your willingness and ability to reflect myself back to me, seasoning it all with your own perspective.

I often see something brand-new, through your eyes.

jillypoet said...

I like the shape of this poem. It echose the back and forth of your walk home. The short lines work like tiny, complete thoughts, like you are listening, to yourself, to your friend. A very soothing piece!

Jessica said...

I love the break in the poem with the middle line and then the whole long last stanza. I remember a similar time in my life, but I haven't been able to capture it as well as you just did.

Jone said...

I like the structure of this. Our lives are a teeter-totter. Great imagery.

Marcia (MeeAugraphie) said...

Your poem and visual worked really well together.