March 17, 2007

Just Say Yes

Part I:

Tonight D was excited to re-discover some of his favorite swimming trunks, and asked if he could wear them for his bath. I paused for a moment. Any good reason to say no? Not really. Into the tub he went, trunks and all. The pirates didn't seem to mind a bit.

(Fun aside: please note that the pirates pictured above are clutching 1) a treasure chest and 2) a map. Nary a weapon in sight. In our house, pirates are REALLY smart, and they sweet-talk, trick, and scam their way around the globe rather than resorting to swords and cannons. You have no idea how hard it is to find pirate figures that aren't bloodthirsty. Are they realistic? Heck, no! When's the last time YOU saw a guy – pirate or no – holding a map?)

Part II:
Our boy's NEXT out-of-the-box idea for how to inject a little wild and crazy into our Saturday night started to take shape during his playdate today with good friend L. They spent almost an hour holed up in our giant walk-through closet, claiming that it was "cozy" and "a good hide out." After L left, D came up with the idea of sleeping in the closet tonight.

"No," I said, perhaps instinctively reacting to a long-ingrained "closet = pain, agony, and suffering" mindset common to openly gay people everywhere. "Why not?" he asked. "Because your Tama works super long hours this time of year and really needs her sleep; I think having you over there snoring in the closet would be a distraction to her."

"Okay, how about this," countered our little negotiator. "How about I START in the closet, and then after I'm asleep you bundle me and my blankets back to my bed?"


You gotta reward problem-solving like that!

Now I just have to make sure that T doesn't toss her shoes into the closet without looking when she finally does get home.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

It's just sweet all over.

I used to play in the closet when I was young (last year). I'd even bring a reading lamp in there with me. Liked the fact that nobody else wanted to come in there. It was my little place and nobody bothered me there.

Nancy Bea Miller said...

Adorable! You are such a good Mom!

Wendy said...

oh my goodness, how cute is that?!?
oh and the thought of you carrying him to bed...

sigh

Mary J. said...

too cute!