November 14, 2006

Outside and Yes

The days were still long. The light was luscious. And on our way home from school I was remembering some of the best parenting advice I've gotten yet:

Say yes as often as you can.

So as we made ready to drive past the Mercer Oak (actually Son of Mercer Oak, but that's another story), and D asked me if we could stop and play outside, I was primed.

I said yes.

We walked along the fence talking about split rails and the original oak and what people mean when they tie a yellow ribbon and whose shadow is taller and then he asked me if he could climb on the fence.

I said yes.

Outside and yes. A great combination.

(Thanks to the women of Mama Says Om
for their continuing inspiration.)

6 comments:

Maya's Granny said...

Yes is the very best thing we can say to a child. So little that they ask really requires a no. Mostly, if we just stop for a moment and ask ourselves "why not?" the answer can be yes. Not always right away -- sometimes the answer is, "Yes, as soon as we finish the dishes we can do that" or some other such thing.

Anonymous said...

I think that's great advice to remember :)

Amy Linder said...

That's awesome! We parents tend to say no too much. Thanks for the great lessen in "yes"!

Amy :)

mandaroo63 said...

I think that's awesome. Look at the beautiful moments you get to savor, when you say "yes". Love it!

Anonymous said...

What a million dollar smile! Thanks for the lovely post.

Anonymous said...

YES! YES! YES!

(just practicing)

He's a cutie.