November 18, 2006

Sunday Scribblings - Heroes

I wrote a pretty extensive "Heroes" entry for Mama Says Om back on November 5th. I figured I would probably need to skip this Sunday Scribblings on account of what else would I have to say?

I figured wrong.

Here's the one thing more I have to say. The thing that really gets to me about heroes? Is that they rarely think of themselves that way. And that they usually don't go out looking for anything like attention or glory or accolades. They just stay where they are and act on their truth. Because the Earth matters. Because some people can't speak up for themselves. Because they need to sit down. Or stand up.

I think you might need to be the hero of your own life before you can be the hero of anyone else's.

(More thoughts on heroes at Sunday Scribblings.)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The choice of Harriet Tubman is first rate, and she is one of my own long time heroes. I think she would have been very surprised though to learn that we think of her that way, and so would most of the other dauntless spirits we often think of as being heroes, women like Susan B. Anthony, Margaret Sanger, Violet Szabo, Mother Jones, Sojourner Truth, Rosa Parks and (today) Aung San Suu Kyi of Burma. Absolutely right - in the words of Pema Chodron, we start wherever we are.

Anonymous said...

Brilliant post with wonderful links to show the way.

Anonymous said...

I remember The Tank Man alright, the guy who needed to just stand. Hell of a hero. Good post.

Anonymous said...

Self-awareness is the first step to becoming a hero - great post.