November 17, 2006

In Search Of


(ill.the fabulous Richard Bell)

The problem with reading incessantly is that I forget where I saw things.

Sometimes, I have the presence of mind in the moment to realize that something is making enough of an impact on me that I should make a little note about where to find it again.


But it is more often the case that something makes a deep impression on me slowly, sinking down into my consciousness and percolating until I finally realize that it's here to stay.


Except for now I don't know where it came from.

Here are a few of the things that are bubbling up that I wish I could find:
  • What book of Cornelius Eady's includes the poem "The Wrong Street"?
  • What book (fiction) includes the concept of social "ascendency," the idea that we are always striving to assess ourselves in relation to others with regards to dominance?
  • What book (utopian fiction) includes the idea that we had evolved to the point that people were selecting their cultural affiliations, independently of their families of origin? (This is hard to explain, but was explained beautifully and appealingly in some book I read.)
Got anything you're trying to find again? Got any leads on "my" stuff?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am having the same problem! What boom is "The Wrong Street" in? It was originally in Ploughshares Vol.15 Iss. 4 in winter of 1989.