December 14, 2006

The Ghanzi-Kang Road

For years
for lifetimes
the government of my country
has been trying to push me
out of my homeland.

Only one game reserve in the world
is larger than ours
here in the Central Kalahari desert.
Surely there is room enough
for hyenas, wildebeest, lions, gemsbok
and the San – my people –
in addition to the diamonds
everyone cares so much about.

Yesterday, in a courtroom,
we won the right to return.
Do you know that feeling,
washing off the dust
of Deception Valley
but still so happy
to have walked in it?

I'm heading for the Ghanzi-Kang road,
and from there my tracks are my own.
I am going home. I am going home.
It will be a fine story.
I am going home.

(Thanks to the women of Poetry Thursday
for their continuing inspiration. And to
the San, whose victory yesterday inspired this poem.)


(Click here for the story of the San's victory.)


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

This was so inspiring. Thank you for the link as well. It's amazing what goes on in the rest of the world- we get so caught up in our own dramas we don't know what is going on with others. And that's a shame...

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the link and the beautiful poem that captures the joy of a people.

Anonymous said...

More power to you ! BB

Professor Kim said...

Beautiful poem, lovely picture, wonderful news. Sometimes good really does win....thank you.

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful tribute - the last stanza especially just rings true.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful, to think they are finally going home. Reading your lovely poem I felt their great joy and your joy too. Hallelujah, something to crow and cheer about - we should all be celebrating this!