December 16, 2006

Remember

Do you remember God's Eyes?

I had completely forgotten.

Now that D is old enough to be in the "kindergarten through 2nd" First Day School class, I am usually not with him until the rise of meeting.

Earlier this month, when I went to pick him up, he was halfway through creating his very first God's Eye, and I was suddenly flooded with memories of my own childhood hand-crafting days.

Remember the first potholder you ever wove? On that little tiny loom? Remember the boondoggle lanyard
– or did you call it gimp? – that you made at camp? Remember that super-cool popsicle stick birdfeeder?

Such a thrill, to enter the world of making, to be able to create something that seemed real and recognizable and useful and grown up.

What do you remember? Tell me a story?

(Thanks to the women of Mama Says Om
for their continuing inspiration.)


1 comment:

Andromeda Jazmon said...

What a precious picture! I remember as a kid I got happy when it was time for VBS because I drooled over those craft kits. I love the smell of balsa wood. Sometimes I would go into a fit of longing to make something and roam around the house begging my mother to give me a project or buy me materials. She got a big box and started filling it with scraps and bits and pieces. When the fit came over me I would pull out the box and stuff would happen... lovely memories!