April 10, 2007

Thank you for calling?!?!

I just spent 27 minutes on the phone talking with a truly lovely man named Sean at Delta Baggage Handling. Also caught me some, ummm, hold "music." (Those are ironic air quotes, can you see my fingers?)

Still no duffle bag.

But at the end of the conversation, when Sean said (as he has no doubt been well trained to say): "Thank you for calling Delta Baggage Handling," I did not say the thing in my head.

Which was not kind.

Which was something along the lines of, "Thank you for calling?!? Like I have a choice? You're holding all my summer shorts, my bathing suits, and seven library books hostage, you [expletive deleted as I am the parent of a 5.5 year old and trying to model appropriate language] losers!"

I did not say it, because in fact it was clear that Sean was doing his very best.

According to the rules of engagement, I am to remain officially hopeful for five days, at which point I can file a claim for lost items.

It's pretty minor trouble, in the grand scheme of things. And I get bonus points for restraint, right?

4 comments:

Gerald (Ackworth born) said...

Oh how I know that feeling.

My son bought me an mp3 player for my birthday. It worked fine for a while but then went wrong.

I would have just asked him to take it back to the shop and get a replacement -- but there was a note in the box which said "In the case of problems do NOT return this item to the shop but ring our HELPFUL customer service line."

I braced myself. It was an 0870 number of course [thats 10p a minute as opposed to an 0845 # at 3p a min or a free 0800 #]

I think there were three separate menu choices to go through before being put on hold for 20 minutes while I listen to some awful so-called music interuppted every 30 seconds with "All our operators are busy ..." Finally I get through to the unHELPFUL girl who promptly tells me "O we can't do anything about that -- you'll have to take it back to the shop" "But," I say trying to stem the steam rising from my head, "Your leaflet said not do that but to ring you!" I forget now whether she actually replied or simply terminated the call.

I found the firm's website and sent them an email but ...

My son took it back to the shop and they replaced it.

So plus ten points to ARGOS and minus ten to BUSH

juliloquy said...

Happened to us just after Christmas with Continental. Just after we filed a claim (2 weeks after the flight), a completely different airline called to say they had our bag. ?!? Good luck!

Maya's Granny said...

Anyone with library books being held hostage has cause for screaming and swearing and all sorts of meanness. That you didn't indulge gives you points on the saint scale.

Stacy said...

Bonus points indeed.

I will ask the Sassafras Parents to channel you some good luggage karma.