November 01, 2007

Tag, I'm It

Something possessed me to sign up for another year of NaBloPoMo (National Blog Posting Month, or some such), so I now join the ranks of sleepy bloggers who begin and end each day desperately seeking to eke out some content from their meagre lives. (Hey, let me know if you think of anything you'd like to see here at But Wait in the next 30 days or so.) Thank goodness for my dear friend Sassafras Mama, who tagged me with this meme a while back:

1) What I was doing ten years ago:
Ten years ago was 1997. I had just left my job of many years, and had started working in my new home state of New Jersey. My partner and I were living together for the first time (in a little 862 square foot faculty apartment), and saving up for a house.

2.) Five years ago:
That would have been 2002, my first full year of being a parent. I had quit working for wages and was staying at home with a certain someone. My best and most challenging job to date.


3) One year ago:
Recovering from Hallowe'en and writing recommendation letters. Kind of like now, actually.

4.) Yesterday:
Hallowe'en! Haunted the halls of my school during the day, reminding kids who need reminding that they have to start essays, finish essays, visit schools, etc. etc. Stopped by the CVS on the way home to snag some Epsom salts so I can continue to nurse my infected toe (ewwww!) back to health. Also snagged some Hallowe'en-themed pencils to use as "bonus prizes" for the really good costumes. Held down the fort here at home while Mr. D and his good friend cased the surrounding streets for prospects of candy and "unicycle money." (Um, that's UNICEF, son.)


5.) 5 snacks I enjoy:
MacIntosh apple slices; homemade air-popped popcorn (like Stacy, no microwave nonsense); chocolate (dark, non-American); Polish-style dill pickle; fresh raisin challah

6.) 5 things I would do if I suddenly had $100 million:
go crazy on Kiva, endow a travel fund for my friends and family, endow the Chinese language program and the Guatemalan service project at Princeton Friends School, work part-time, buy a little retirement house near the water and some great golf courses

7.) 5 locations I would like to run away to:
Provincetown, MA; Vancouver, BC; Prince Edward Island; Asheville, NC; Silver City, NM

8.) 5 bad habits I have:
underestimating people; interrupting folks; leaving lunch-making until the last minute; swearing when I really shouldn't; surfing when I really shouldn't

9.) 5 things I like doing:
brightening the day of friends, getting total strangers to smile, talking to a captive audience (the bigger, the better), traveling on someone else's nickel, reading

10.) 5 TV shows I like:
Ugly Betty; Actor's Studio, West Wing; STTNG; M*A*S*H

11.) 5 things I hate doing:
Hmmm, hate is an awfully strong word. Cleaning out disgusting moldy food stuff that I knew I should have cleaned out last week; losing my things; losing my temper with my son; losing a night to insomnia; losing a day to a migraine

12.) 5 Biggest joys of the moment:
a well-written recommendation letter; spontaneous "thank you's"; hanging out with Mr. D; cooler weather and the resulting snuggle opportunities; good snailmail

No comments: