May 22, 2008

Uninvited Guest

At some point during the meeting I heard a noise.

I covertly glanced around the room. No one else seemed to have noticed anything out of the ordinary. But there it was again.

We've been having new phones installed, and the sound could have been made by someone pulling a wire through an opening in the next room over.

Or maybe not.

Increasingly convinced that the sound I was hearing was not human in origin, I hosted an internal debate about what to do. I didn't want to interrupt the meeting; what if it was nothing after all? But I felt like I had to do something.

Finally I sent out an email to my colleagues in the next room:

"Could one of you please ask someone from maintenance to stop by my office? I think I have a visitor and it's creeping me out."

No response.

Finally, once we'd all taken notes and thanked each other and finished up our work together, I was alone again in my office.

Well... not quite alone, as it turned out.

I spent some time explaining to this creature the difference between "going green" through recycling and the actual green of the great outdoors, and then, with the help of someone with experience in such things, sent it on its merry way.

What would you have done?

(Up next: I still have mohawk pics to share!)

5 comments:

Kim said...

Where I work (next to a feed and seed type store) we have a continuing mouse problem. Both my boss and I loath killing them, so we set up little traps by putting cheese in trashcans on their sides and then watch and swoop them up to deposit them a few hundred yards from the store. That is when they aren't caught by the awful sticky traps others set.

Shark Butt said...

I would have freed the mouse too. Sharkbutt & cats would have chased it.

Anonymous said...

Hi Shelley, I found your blog! :) I'm inviting you to submit haiku to the 7th Calico Cat haiku contest in my LJ: http://origa.livejournal.com/

I hope you will like the prize! :)

Olga

Shelley said...

@kim, thanks for the visit... I don't like killing creatures either, but I'm not entirely certain that my friend in maintenance feels the same way. We had a kind of "don't ask, don't tell" thing going on.

@sb Fish gotta swim, birds gotta fly...

@Olga, YAY, so pleased you found me! A two-day turnaround is QUITE a challenge... but I am travelling for part of that time, which may help... (car time = good haiku time, at least for me). Thank you for the invitation and please stay tuned.

Stacy said...

Well that was exciting.

I once had a bumblebee in the classroom and it was terribly hard to set it free because screaming girls is not conducive to calm.

So it flew into the hallway instead.